Black mold is really bothersome especially in the wet season of winter because this is a great time for it to proliferate. This also might be the best time for people to be knowledgeable and keen about it to prevent further damage. So to calm your fears and anxiety, here are some facts and prevention tips you need to know about black mold.
What Is Black Mold?
Black mold is also identified as Stachybotrys chartarum and is usually black or sometimes dark green. It is a dangerous form of mold commonly found in places where there is moisture. Any material that is wet for at least 72 hours or has consistent moisture is a good requirement for the growth of black mold.
What made the black mold harmful is the release of mycotoxins that are present in mold spores. The mold spores can easily get into the air and can then be inhaled or ingested. Thus, causing potential harm to human health.
What Are The Causes?
The principal reason behind the formation of the black mold is moisture. This can be caused by several things like:
- water leakage/flooding
- clogged-up gutters
- improper ventilation
- not having regular maintenance
- wet or damp clothes
- humid basements
- accumulation of water around the foundation of your property
What Are The Effects?
Any kind of mold, particularly black mold can have a detrimental effect on your health as well as structural damage to your property.
There have been some reports about fatalities related to mold. The World Health Organization agreed that exposure to mold can cause infections, respiratory symptoms, asthma, and allergic rhinitis.
Other common symptoms of mold include:
- Constant tiredness
- Eye and throat irritation
- Skin irritation and rashes
- Chest tightness/difficulty breathing
2) Structural Damage
Growing mold likes feeding on organic matter like paper, cardboard, wood, and fabrics. The mold damages the surface slowly as it feeds and grows. This can cause unpleasant damage to the interior of a house or property.
How To Prevent Black Mold in Homes?
Black mold prevention is the best defense to stop mold growth. The following are some measures to prevent black mold or any mold in your home:
- Remove growing black mold anywhere in your home immediately.
- Use a mask and a proper covering to protect yourself from exposure to mold spores.
- Contact a mold expert if you have health problems or if you can’t handle bigger mold issues.
- Try to maintain the area once everything is clean.
- Make sure to fix all leaks to avoid water damage.
- You should frequently monitor the levels of humidity in your home because too much humidity can trigger the growth of mold.
- Check regularly your air-conditioning unit that it’s running properly.
- Check for stagnant water in and around your home.
- You might also consider covering the floor of your crawl space to prevent moisture.
- In addition, try to invest in a dehumidifier to help you in controlling humid air especially in confined spaces like basements or crawlspaces.
Who To Call For Help?
Understanding basic facts about mold and its prevention tips can help you deal with this problem. But, in case, dealing it on your own is challenging, contact a professional. While you can do-it-yourself, identifying the source of moisture to eliminate the problem is not easy. Thus, it is advisable to let professionals do the job to ease your worries and burden about black molds.
Superior Restoration, a leading restoration company, offers mold removal and remediation services. They have skilled and experienced technicians who only utilize the best methods of remediating mold both in commercial and residential area. If you need mold removal and remediation services, contact their office today.