There are several causes why mold might be present in your homes. And since California is one of the most humid states in the U.S., mold reproduces easily and spreads quickly. You might not notice it at once, but prolonged exposure to it may lead to different health problems.
Being aware of the 10 warning signs of mold toxicity will help you realize the importance of preventing mold in your home. And you may even save the whole household!
Toxic Mold: Causes
Though not all types of molds are damaging like bacteria, there’s a certain mold that can be toxic. A greenish-black mold called Stachybotrys chartarum produce chemicals that are dangerous to our body.
These toxic chemicals are called mycotoxins. They occur where excessive moisture from water damage, flooding, condensation, water leaks, or water infiltration is present. And moisture is one major factor for mold growth.
Mold Allergies vs Mold Toxicity
If you are allergic to molds, you probably inhaled mold spores and later showed symptoms of hay fever or rhinitis. This may also trigger asthma attacks and cause allergic reactions immediately.
This condition occurs when you have been exposed to toxic vapors diffused by too much mold or mold poisoning. Whether you are sensitive to it or not, it is known to cause health issues or mold illness.
Identify the 10 Warning Signs of Mold Toxicity
Mold problems may be detrimental to health. This could lead to serious issues, especially for children, the elderly, and those who have weak immune systems.
The following are symptoms of mold toxicity to look out for:
- Asthma attacks
- Itchy throat and watery eyes
- Digestive issues (mold poisoning symptoms) e.g.diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, or intestinal bleeding
- Chronic cough
- Fungal arthritis/ joint stiffness
- Sleep disorder (e.g.Insomnia)
- Anxiety and depression
- Mold migraine
- Skin infections
Most mold exposure symptoms will diminish and totally give up if the root cause has been cleared away. However, special medical help and attention may be necessary for significant symptoms. Furthermore, call 911 for medical emergencies.
Prevent These 10 Warning Signs of Mold Toxicity
- Recognize the signs of black mold on your property. Try to check for clustered growths or discolored spots in warm and moist rooms.
- If there’s a musty odor, you are certain that you are dealing with water damage and black mold.
- Spot water damage in your home. Moreover, also check for leaks and areas that have poor ventilation.
- Once the problem has been identified, get rid of those molds. Get to its cause and eliminate it from the source.
- Don safety gear such as a mask, gloves, goggles, and protective boots before you begin. Properly dispose of what you use after cleaning and removing mold.
- Ventilation is often so important in dealing with mold. Open all the doors and windows to allow the circulation of air inside your house. Use exhaust fans, especially in moisture prone areas.
- Things or objects that are not affected by molds should be removed and sorted out. Throw affected items.
- Use proper tools and safe solutions that are intended for removing mold, be it natural or chemical. But remember not to mix them to prevent toxic fumes from forming.
- Replace totally or the affected part such as drywall, ceiling, or carpets if necessary.
- Keep your home clean and dry as much as possible.
- With your dehumidifiers and air conditioners, keep humidity levels in your home to 50 or lower. Change filters and give a maintenance check to your air conditioner as recommended.
- Check and assure that water empties or drains away from your property.
- Don’t leave dampened clothes or towels on the floor, in the washing machine, or laundry hamper.
- Repair water issues and take hold of all the preventive measures for future use.
- Avoid placing carpets in wet-prone areas such as the bathroom, basements, or laundry room.
- Consider hiring a professional to totally eradicate mold in and out of your property.
Seek Help! Water Damage and Mold Restoration
Mold can be devastating if left unattended, especially for longer periods. They multiply and spread quickly provided there’s food and moisture. They can be harder to control if a large area of your home is affected.
To prevent experiencing the 10 warning signs of mold toxicity in your home, follow the tips above. Moreover, hire a trusted company for water damage restoration and mold remediation.
Superior Restoration can be of big help in mitigating all these issues! Their team of experts will make sure that mold issues will not occur in your home ever again. Call now and experience quality service round the clock!