Molds can be very disgusting. This organism can grow anywhere and present itself in different colors (like green, orange, white, and black). However, black mold is considered to be the most toxic mold, because it produces mycotoxins which can cause health hazards to humans.
Because many people do not take immediate action when they encounter mold problems, it becomes the cause of different illnesses.
This article will give you a better understanding of what causes black mold on your ceiling.
What is Black Mold?
Black mold, known as Stachybotrys Chartarum, is a common type of indoor mold. A black mold can appear in black or dark green. Not only black mold can be easily seen, but it has also a distinct smell, a musty smell.
Just like other types of mold, it releases mold spores that can enter your house through the air and spread quickly in your entire home. These spores outside of the house can also attach to people’s clothing, shoes, bags, and even to animals. They can be a good vehicle for mold to enter your home.
When mold spores drop in damp areas or areas that have excessive moisture, they will start to grow and digest whatever nutrients are present to survive. Then, this will begin destroying things and causing serious property damage.
What Causes Black Mold
Bathrooms are one of the most common places where you can easily see mold. It can have all the factors that are needed for mold to start growing. This includes;
- Excessive humidity
- Poor insulation
- Water leak
- Food source
- Warm temperature
In most cases, the bathroom ceiling becomes an ideal place for black mold to grow due to condensation. When moisture that is produced inside your bathroom comes in contact with the ceiling and becomes its resting place, condensation begins. That is the reason why condensation is very common in cold surfaces.
Basic DIY Mold Removal
If you notice mold on your bathroom ceiling, it is important to treat it as soon as possible. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, if the moldy area is less than 10 square feet, it can be a DIY project. Below are some steps to clean mold.
- Begin by wearing protective gear like gloves, eye protection, and respirator.
- Fill a spray bottle with 1/3 water and one part bleach.
- Spray this solution to the mold on your ceiling and let it sit in for a few minutes.
- Use a clean cloth or a scrub to wipe off the mold.
- Let the ceiling dry completely.
Dangers of Black Mold and Mildew
People who are exposed to mold spores can have different symptoms, such as a stuffy nose, sneezing, wheezing, and itchy skin or eyes. Some could even have an intense reaction such as fever or difficulty breathing, especially if they have allergies to molds. Some people can develop asthma. People who have respiratory problems or weak immune systems can be at risk of mold infections.
According to the CDC, the molds themselves are not toxic or poisonous. Moreover, the hazards that are carried out by molds may produce mycotoxins that could be dangerous to people. There are reports, rare but possible, that these toxigenic molds can cause serious illnesses such as pulmonary hemorrhage or memory loss.
If you see any signs of bathroom mold, it is best to call in professionals. Other surfaces of your bathroom might also be affected, such as tile grout and ceiling drywall. Removing and replacing the affected area can be the best long-term solution.
How To Prevent Black Mold On Your Bathroom Ceiling
Since mold can cause severe reactions to people, it is best to prevent and control mold growth.
- Keep humidity level as long as you can (preferably not higher than 50%)
- Use an air conditioner or a humidifier during the warm season
- You should use a ventilation fan or exhaust fan to circulate the air.
- Paint your ceiling with mold-resistant paint.
- Cleaning the bathroom regularly with mold-killing products.
- Don't place a carpet in your bathroom.
- Remove and replace any water-damaged carpets.
- Dry wet surfaces in the bathroom.
Proper maintenance can be the best way of preventing mold growth. If any type of water damage happens in your bathroom, it is best to resolve it right away and inspect for any visible mold.
When treating black mold, it is important to wear protective gear to prevent any allergic reactions.
In cases that black mold becomes severe and causes health problems to you and your family, mold remediation can be your best resort. Hire a local mold remediation company to properly remove mold. Professionals will make sure that your home is livable and free from any danger black mold can bring. These are the steps you can expect during the process.
- Determine the size of the area that needs to be contained.
- Evaluate the number of air scrubbers needed during the process.
- Install air scrubbers in the affected area.
- Vacuum all areas included in the containment process
- Removing all porous materials such as drywall.
- Cleaning and disinfecting all surfaces.
- Fixing the source of mold growth.
Professional Mold Removal Services
Black mold or any type of mold should be treated promptly, though reactions could happen rarely. A removal specialist can help you with this issue. At Superior Restoration, we offer the best deal when it comes to mold removal. To know more about our mold removal and remediation services, contact us today.